April was a busy month, what with working a couple extra weekends at my "day" job and new writing assignments with the San Francisco Chronicle. But it's all good, no complaints. I mean, too much work is better than none at all, right?
Plus, I'm really enjoying these new writing gigs. Of course, "Pet Tales" is my baby because what better project for an animal-loving writer than to write about animals, eh? Hard to believe that the column is going on 10+ years now. I still love it though and truly feel a bond with every pet that appears each Wednesday, such as the beautiful Abby spotlighted in today's column. Next week, stay tuned for my girl, Olivia (please, humor me with the occasional nepotism).
But more about these new features. They're of the human-interest variety and turning out to be a lot of fun. I've always believed that if you ask the right questions, everyone has a story to tell.
My first article was about Riley Quinn, a high school teenager who was born with one arm, yet the kid's a star athlete on his high school's basketball, football, and baseball teams. Talk about inspirational: I'll whine for weeks when I sight a gray hair.
My second piece caught up with former Golden State Warrior great, Joe Ellis. What a nice guy. Humble, gentle, modest, and a wonderful example to the children he now teaches in basketball clinics. My next article will be about The Challengers, an amazing baseball league specifically for children with special needs.
Of course, anyone that knows me will appreciate the irony that someone who eschews sports now has articles appearing on the front page of the sports section.
Life's just full of surprises, isn't it?

1 comment:
I've found it impossible to load your column at sfgate for ages now. Just FYI...
Post a Comment