Even now, 15 months after losing my sweet Elvis, I still hear from readers who loved a dog they only knew from my newspaper column.
This week, a reader sent me a photo of one article (see left) that he's kept posted on his refrigerator since it was published in 2007. He wrote:
"Today, I re-read your article about Elvis for the first time since 2007 and it made me smile once again, just as it did then. I decided to contact you to see how Elvis was doing and of course, upon searching for your contact information, came across the article about Elvis passing last February. Needless to say, I started crying right at my desk...."
And yesterday, on Facebook, somebody else posted: "Just got swarmed by greyhounds at the GG Meet & Greet. Love love love. Thinking of Elvis, the one who made me love them."
Everybody thinks that their dog is special. And everybody would be right because in their eyes and their hearts, their dog is indeed special. But there was something about Elvis that enabled people to see what I saw: a sweet and gentle spirit who came to represent the face of racing greyhounds.
How I miss my lovely, loving boy. And how proud I am of his legacy.

1 comment:
Thanks for posting today's moving thoughts. I keep your final goodbye to Elvis on my desktop and cry every time I read "go find Grandma." When I see someone with a Greyhound, I encourage them to find you online. Elvis may have been the face of racing Greyhounds, but you have supplied the incredible connection between you, the loving human rescuer, and these wonderful dogs.
Post a Comment