Sunday, March 4, 2012

Missing Elvis




On that hot August day in 2009, when my mother died unexpectedly from a pulmonary embolism, I remember coming home from the hospital and logging on my computer. My company was having a major event the following day and, as the public relations person, it was my responsibility to email media alerts.

A
nd so I did.

You might wonder how could I do this? How in the world could I have even thought about work when, hours earlier, I had just suffered the most significant, painful and traumatic loss of my entire life? At first I wondered too. At the time, I remember feeling like I was having an out-of-body experience, watching myself sitting at the computer and typing away like everything was normal.

But with hindsight comes wisdom. Only later did I realize that on the day my mother died, I was--in the truest sense of the word--in shock. I recall shifting into autopilot and feeling numb, with an odd buzzing in my brain that felt like a steady low-level jolt of electricity. Looking back, I don't remember much else about that horrid day or the blurry weeks that followed.

This surreal experience was repeated on Wednesday when I said farewell to my beautiful boy, Elvis. I came home from the vet, logged on the computer, and dived into work. When my manager received my email advising what had happened, she immediately phoned and told me to take time off, as much as needed.

"No, I'm okay," I insisted. And I was. I worked from home all day and went into the office the next. I was fine. Really. Fine. Co-workers and friends observed that I was handling the loss unusually well and, to be honest, it even struck me as odd. How could I feel so deadened, so unemotional over losing my beloved Elvis?

But here's the thing about shock: you don't recognize it when you're in it. Instead, you really do believe you're coping well and doing fine.

Working and returning to some semblance of normalcy made it easy to ignore what had taken place that morning. Instead, Elvis was downstairs lying on his La-Z-Dog recliner, gnawing on his stuffed alligator, and that little scene in the vet's office hadn't really happened, right? Everything was hunky-dory, zippity-do-dah, same as always. Right? Fine, just fine.

But with the silent tranquility of Saturday morning came a blinding clarity. And with it, a wave of grief that slammed me with the force of a tsunami. Gone was the numbness. Gone was the weird buzzing in my brain. Gone was the ability to work or socialize or eat or breathe or do anything besides crumble in a ball and cry. And I realized I was not fine. Far from it. All I could think about was Elvis and the shocking awareness that he was gone. My faithful companion for 9 1/2 years. My boy, the dog I called my canine soul mate. Gone.

The shock--that comforting cloak of self-preservation and denial--had lifted only to unleash an ache of unbearable depth. A penetrating, palatable ache that mirrored the sentiments of a Facebook post by a friend who reached out when she heard about Elvis.

"Only from such great love can come such great sorrow."

Indeed. Because with each day that passes, I am overwhelmed with love for Elvis and grieve for the dog who is no longer here. And I cry all the harder, missing my lovely, loving boy.

5 comments:

Kris Eugene-Johnson said...

I remember when we lost our Patrick whom my husband and I had 11 yrs and who, by many people's account, was simply a person in a standard poodle suit. The auto-pilot numbness was just as you described, as was the purity of the grief. I say "purity" because with people, you can always find something you didn't like and recall that to temper the pain. Not so with pets, for they are faultless.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Elvis with us through the years. Your stories gave me much pleasure, and I always looked forward to them. Elvis lives on in the hearts and memories of all your readers, and in the many rescue dogs (greyhounds and others) you no doubt inspired others to adopt - a lovely legacy for a lovely dog.

One of cats died after she had been with me for 20 years. A lifetime, it seemed - from age 18 to almost 40, and all the moves and adventures and changes those years bring. She was found as a still unweaned kitten in a Stockton parking lot. When she died, I was much consoled by the thought of what a wonderful life she had, for any cat, let alone one of such humble beginnings. When I read your column about the death of Elvis, I thought much the same thing. You gave Elvis a wonderful wonderful 10 years, full of love and comfy beds and stuffed toys and more love. I am very sorry for your loss.
Patricia

Raquel LeBaudour said...

Dear Eileen ~

Hi there! My name is “Raquel” and I currently reside in a small town, Red Bluff, CA. I am the proud owner of 2 "sweet-as-can-be" Italian Greyhounds (I’ll send a photo down the road). I came across your articles a while back. Actually, my parents would save your articles regarding your Greyhounds for me, and before long, I found myself thoroughly enamored by your lovely prose surrounding such an exquisite animal, as is the standard Greyhound (there’s nothing standard about them, really -- they're amazing!). Nevertheless, the last article I read was heart-wrenching, so I am writing to offer you my deepest condolences regarding your recent loss. Your "Elvis” was beautiful and I am certain his personality followed suit.
I know that for myself, “my girls” have seen me through so many things, specifically a difficult divorce, as well as tremendously painful custody issues. My first Italian Greyhound is a blue; her name is “Luca.” I later rescued an all white, with one black eye and named her “Lily.” They’re so incredibly sweet, and they know me so well! Honestly, if it wasn’t for them I don’t know how I would have gotten through my bouts of depression. I just wish for you to know that you have the love and prayers of a fellow “Greyhound-Lover.” I admire your strength during such a difficult time, and praise you for the intensity in which you love your Greyhounds. My best to you as you move forward; may you find only the best that this life has to offer.

I’ll be looking for your articles in the future!
Peace & Love,
Raquel LeBaudour
Archery111@snowcrest.net

Anonymous said...

yes, with each tragedy in my life i could find some distraction with work. it's when i had time to actually think about the losses, it would hit me.

your lovely elvis deserves to be cried over. i will miss him too.

Adriana said...

Eileen, I feel so sorry and so sad. I wonder every day why we love these furry faced creatures. Why do we kiss there soft little cheeks and nuzzle their (sometimes stinky) fur. What do they do besides get into the garbage, pee on the doormat, gnaw on a nice pair of heels or take up way too much space on the bed. I say to my dog, every day,"why are you so cute?" Inexplicable, but they are and we do love them and we are the better for it. -Adriana Gores

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...