Saturday, March 17, 2012

Changing of the Dog

Even in the midst of missing my beautiful boy Elvis and aching for our past, I catch a glimpse of Olivia doing something endearing. Something uniquely her. And I smile for our future.

Such as when I saw her pony up the courage to approach Elvis' beloved La-Z-Dog recliner. She knows this was his bed and respects his territory, even though he's been gone almost four weeks. It's okay now, girl, I told her. Really. With a little coaxing on my part, she tentatively laid on his pillow.

Now Olivia already has a La-Z-Dog recliner of her own, but her reaction to this bed was different. She smelled Elvis. And with unheralded joy, she lolled about on the pillow back and forth, back and forth, coating her fur with the familiar scent of her beloved companion.

Observing this canine display of unabashed happiness, it struck me that despite living with Elvis just three short months, my poor girl was mourning his absence as much as I was.

And through my tears, I watched Olivia's pure delight and felt a spark in my grieving heart. Because while Elvis' life has ended, hers is just beginning.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Beautiful entry... I hope Olivia brings you much joy during this time. It's a beautiful thing that she recognized her beloved companion. You brought tears to my eyes.

girldogs said...

:D

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss of your beloved Elvis. I cried when I read that article, I felt like I knew Elvis from your articles about him. I lost my beloved dog Theo almost three years ago and I miss him everyday. The heartache is almost too much to bear. I love all dogs but he was special. Hoping Olivia brings you much joy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...