It was the day after Thanksgiving and mom and I had made plans to go window shopping at a nearby outdoor mall. Walk off those pumpkin pie calories, admire the decorations, maybe do a little shopping, and enjoy a light lunch afterwards. So I wasn't surprised when she called at 9 a.m. to tell me she was on her way to pick me up. Ready to go shopping? You betcha!
But then she oh, so casually mentioned that her finger hurt. Just a little.
"What do you mean it hurts?" I asked. "What happened?"
"Oh, I tripped over one of the dogs last night before I went to bed and I must have sprained it a little," she replied. "It's no big deal."
My antennas went up. If it wasn't a big deal, why had she mentioned it? "Do you need to see a doctor?" I asked. "Should I take you to Emergency?"
"Naaaaaw," she snorted, "it's nothing, really. Let's go shopping."
Okeefine.
But when she picked me up 15 minutes later and I saw her middle finger, I had a slightly different take on the matter.
"OH MY GAWD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?"
Because THAT was her middle finger, completely popped out of the second knuckle and bent at a 45 degree angle. It was in complete alignment with her palm, crossing her index finger like a "t" and pointing towards her thumb. I was trying not to gag.
"You're exaggerating," she insisted. "It feels fine!"
Yeah, right sister. Off to emergency we went.
When we checked in and mom displayed her hand with the finger bent like Gumby on crack, I got to say "I told you so" because the response was universal. Everywhere we went throughout the hospital, jaws dropped, eyes popped and stomachs turned. "OH MY GAWD!" the man at check-in exclaimed. As did the woman in the X-Ray department, the emergency technician and the doctor who treated her.
"See?" I told her. "You've even grossed out the people in Emergency and they've seen it all!"
She shrugged. And after the doctor gave her a painful anesthesia shot in the knuckle, snapped her finger back in the socket, taped it to a splint and swathed her hand like an oven mitt, she had but one thing to say.
"So are you happy now? Let's go shopping!" And we did.
1 comment:
Call me crazy, but shopping beats a hospital visit any day.
I'm with your Mom...That dame had her priorities straight.
Post a Comment