Friday, November 11, 2011

A Different Kind of Scary



There I was, watching that new creepy TV show, American Horror Story on the FX channel, when a commercial break began. And so I did what I always do: Channel-surfed. I was flipping through channels faster than a Kim Kardashian marriage when, oooooh, pretty lights, pretty lights!

Backtracking, I found myself on the infamous home-shopping network, QVC. Quality! Value! Convenience!

The pretty lights were a set of four, 16" battery-operated window candles with timer in an attractive brushed bronze base. Hmmm, I could use those. Couldn't I? Not really. Well, maybe. Considering that I'm cut from the coupon-clipping, sales-seeking, gotta-save-for-a-rainy-day cloth, I can't explain what compelled me to reach for my phone and dial the 800 number.

But I did.

Immediately, I was welcomed by a cheery attendant who asked for my phone number. When I recited it, he greeted me by name and asked if I still lived at the same address.

Uh, yeah.

Was I looking at the set of four, 16" battery-operated window candles with timer in an attractive brushed bronze base?

Uh, yeah.

And would this be on the same credit card?

Uh, yeah.

He then advised that my order would arrive on November 26, thanked me for shopping at QVC, and hung up.

Stunned at my impulsiveness, coupled with the speed and simplicity of what just transpired, I flipped back to the FX channel. The commercial break was wrapping up and the program was about to resume. I couldn't help but note the irony: American Horror Story?

Uh, yeah.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...