Friday, October 14, 2011

The RCA That Wouldn't Die



Where's a poorly made appliance when you need one?

That's the problem I'm facing with my 16-year old RCA TV. A relic from the previous century, the clunky 600-pound heifer still works fine. Oh sure, channels are slow to change, colors are muddy, and all ethnicities sport an orange complexion, but other than that, Old Bessie keeps pluggin' along.

Damn such fine workmanship! Because I want a flat screen.

But how can I justify buying one? I can't just toss Old Bessie out on the street. I mean really, what kind of thanks would that be for all her years of service? And so, I've been patiently waiting...and waiting for her to go gently into the night so I could make my coveted purchase. However, much like Dick Clark and Cher, I don't think Old Bessie is going anywhere, anytime soon.

To make matters worse, the Panasonic high-definition flat screen I'm lusting after is now on sale. This means that with one quick swipe of my credit card, I too could be privy to every single lurid, detailed aspect of an actor's face, where facial pores look like craters and wrinkles resemble sand dunes. Cool.

And so, I'm bidding a fond farewell to Old Bessie. She's been a grand old dame, but sometimes in life we have to recognize when it's time to hold 'em, fold 'em, and pull the plug.

In this case, literally.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...